Friday, May 16, 2008

My New Job

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/vol/677350090.html

Partner Needed to Travel Back in Time. NOT A JOKE. (Alexandria, VA)
Reply to: comm-677350090@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-12, 9:43AM EDT

I am looking for a partner to travel back in time with me. This is NOT A JOKE. I have done this before. Your gender is not important, but you must have your own weapons. Contact me immediately.
______________________________________

Thanks to Moonrat, I saw this CraigsList ad, attempting to enlist people for time travel. Because I’m self-loathing and irrationally mean sometimes, I responded to it.

My letter in response:

Dear Time Traveler,

I am considering joining you on this quest. I am a currently unemployed 24 year old female, 5’1, 110 lbs. I have no weapons to bring, but my last name is Katana and if we were to make a detour to 1991, I could grab the Katana swords my family had hanging over our fireplace (unfortunately in 1992, my brother and I broke these swords when we were pretending to duel…and apparently we did not do such a good job with the pretending part). And really…what is more intimidating to those in the past than a Katana with a Katana? We’ll be unstoppable. But in the case that this is not good enough for you, or if you consider me with a sword as intimidating as an ant with a toothpick, let me assure you that I do know how to fire a rifle, thanks to my boyfriend’s father, New England’s hillbilly woods, and about half a bottle of Grey Goose vodka. Will there be vodka on this trip? It helps my aim.

I was also wondering what era we were traveling to? Are we talking prehistoric times here or will I perhaps find myself in the center of a Gettysburg battlefield? This would greatly affect my choice of whether or not I participate. If I had my choice, I would like to travel back to the 50s or 40s…the clothes were pretty back then and it would be awesome to bring back some true vintage hats and dresses!

And my last question for you…I just finished reading The Time Traveler’s Wife. In this book, the protagonist always ends up naked after every time travel experience. This will be a deal breaker for me. While I do consider myself pretty fit, I am still extremely modest and in no way would ever be caught naked in public.

Please clear up these things for me and I look forward to hearing more about this trip.

Thanks,
Colleen

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! this is genius!

moonrat said...

heeheehee. glad someone else enjoyed it as much as i did...

WordVixen said...

Bwahahaha! Every time I read one of your posts, I loathe the geographic location that we have in common a little bit less. I mean. It has produced two geniuses. Right?

Hey- Let me know if he's making stops during the Gold Rush, or during Queen Betty the First's reign. I need to do a bit of research.

Colleen_Katana said...

Hi Jon 'Roc' - Thanks for coming by...unfortunately this flake of a time traveler has YET to respond to my response. How dare he.

MoonRat - Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! I was worried you would be offended that I sort of stole your material!

Word - If I do get the job as assistant Time Traveler, I will let you know...and then you can give me the specifics of what you need to know of the Gold Rush.

Adri Cowan said...

BAHAHA you kill me.

PS: That was actually my post, and I would appreciate it we could meet in private to discuss weaponry and our tasks. Keep an eye our for my carrier pigeon, Jorge.