Friday, August 15, 2008

Going to get me some Lucky Charms!

In about a week, Sean and I are jet-setting to Ireland! I am extremely excited about this trip...not only because I have been waiting in anticipation since the day Sean mentioned it as a part of my Christmas and Valentine's Day gifts, but because this is the first time I have ever stepped foot off of American soil.

That's right, I have never been outside of the country. Seems odd, no? Travel is SO important for young people in this country. The cultures you are exposed to and the experiences to be had contribute greatly to creating a culturally sensitive society…something very important and rarely valued in America today. Fewer and fewer young adults are traveling abroad these days due to high gas prices, inflated plane tickets, the value of the Euro, and low entry-level salaries. Regardless, as a result of the reasons listed above, I have never managed to leave the country.

When I mentioned this to the boyfriend! he seemed confused.

Him: But, didn't you go to the Bahamas once?

Me: Yeah...but that doesn't count as an international trip. I was working the whole time and hardly left the boat. Plus, it didn't require a passport.

Him: Neither did Mexico or Canada until just recently, but that would count as an international trip.

Me: Yes, but I haven't even been to Mexico or Canada either...(these points all seem valid in my mind)

Him: But the Bahamas is British territory. Therefore, you technically have left the country.

Me: Ok, maybe TECHNICALLY, but we all know that technicalities don't count.

Him: What? Why don't technicalities count?! They should count the most!

Me: They just don't!! I wasn't exposed to any new cultures! There's no stamp in my passport! It wasn't even a vacation! I could have been in Key West and it would have felt exactly the same!

Him: Fine. I agree that maybe the experience wasn't necessarily an "international" one, but you have technically left the United States.

Me: Fine. (under my breath) But not really...

Him: YES, REALLY!

So what, dear internet, do you think? Is Ireland my first true trip outside of the United States, or does the Bahamas Cruise count as a worldly and international experience?

5 comments:

Everything Lynne said...

Mmmm. Technically, you have been out of the country, but does it count as a worldly and international experience? Heck no! Like you said, the Bahamas is like a day in Key West...nothing new!

You are going to have such a blast in Ireland (your first international trip!!!), I'm so jealous of all the hotties you will be meeting...and by "hotties" I mean international men with foreign accents. It really doesn't get better than that! I hope you have a great time and take tons of photos! How long are you staying?

Declan Shalvey said...

Conas atá tú Cailín?

Well, you're going to the Republic Of Ireland (ROI) and the North, which is TECHNICALLY part of Britain, like the Bahamas, so your only trip 'abroad' by your definition, will be your time in Dublin. Either way, i'm afraid i have to agree with 'the boyfriend'. I think it's a guy thing. I know girls who reckon they're virgins because they havent had any 'activity' in ages. Sorry girls, 'technically' does matter.

.....You're gonna hit me, aren't you?

Lookin' forward to meeting you, have a safe trip,

Slán,

Dec.

Colleen_Katana said...

Dec...

Yes, the girl who claims to be a virgin because she's in a "rut" is full of shit. But the girl (or guy) who only had sex one time in high school that lasted 2 minutes and now is 25 years old and hasn't had sex since? Well, while that girl (or guy) is TECHNICALLY not a virgin, I think most people would agree that she's closer to the virginal side than otherwise. No?

I still maintain that while, ok, yes, technically, I have been out of the country, It wasn't exactly an international experience. Therefore, I am an international virgin. =0)

And don't worry...I don't hit people I don't know very well. Only if they REALLY REALLY deserve it.

Declan Shalvey said...

Wait a minute ....how the hell did you find out about that one time in high school!?!

Just kidding. See? I really, really do deserve to be hit.

j tana ford said...

Yes, Colleen this counts as your first time traveling internationally! For sure. That boytoy of yours sure can draw but he's got a thing or two to learn about flexibility.