Friday, June 27, 2008

Dreaming of Fireflies

Tonight I will be babysitting my darling niece, Maddie. Since we're meeting in the city, I'm trying to decide what we should do. Normally, I would take her to my favorite knitting store. She loves playing with the yarn...but the store closes at 8 and we're meeting at 8:30. Then I thought maybe we'd just go home and I could cook for her; make my famous chocolate mousse with steamed milk....buuuut she's allergic to milk. So, then I thought of the perfect plan. One that was so amazing that I knew she'd be excited...ANY 6 year old would be!

Me: (over the phone) Maddie, I have a big plan for us tonight!

Maddie: What? What??!

Me: Well, I thought you and I could go see Wall-E! It's opening night in the theatres!

Maddie: Oh. (total lack of enthusiasm)

Me: What? What's wrong?

Maddie: Well, I really wanted to catch fireflies with you.

Me: (Numbed by how simple and sweet this statement is) I would LOVE that, Mad. We'll see Wall-E another time!

Maddie: Don't worry Aunt Colleen...you can buy me Wall-E for my birfday! I'd rather own it anyway.

Me: Uh, Maddie, I already got you a present. Besides, the movie just came out...it's not going to be on sale for a while.

Maddie: (Pauses to think) Hm, well then you can take me to see it on my birthday! Tonight, there are fireflies that need to be catched!

No comments: