Friday, February 22, 2008

The Secret of Tea

As everyone here knows, I am obsessed with coffee. But once the headaches started and after realizing how jittery I was without my usual morning joe, I knew I needed to make a change. So I tried switching to Tea a couple months ago. At first, I was hesitant. How in the world could Tea replace my wonderful, loving companion, Coffee? Tea was like the rebound guy you go on a date with after having your heart broken by the man you loved. And Coffee did break my heart. I was a devoted lover, but he was bad for me. Abusive. Addictive. So, I tinkered around with Earl Grey and a few other mass produced teas that come in boxes. It just wasn't the same. I cringed with each sip. Then, one morning, I stumbled upon Alice's Tea Cup on the upper east side. Across the street was a coffee shop. I somehow managed to ignore the sweet smell of Columbian brew across the street and entered the lovely glass doors to Alice's Tea Cup. I was seated at a dark wood, mahogany table and offered a scone menu to start. Beautiful paintings from Alice in Wonderland were painted all over the walls in a classy, understated way. I ordered a pumpkin scone and a 'white chocolate' tea from the menu. I hesitantly lifted the dainty, porcelain teacup to my lips. It was heaven as the liquid cascaded down my throat. For the first time in my life, I enjoyed a cup of tea. It was light and sweet with a creamy base that tasted like actual bits of white chocolate had been infused in the tea.

I asked the server what the secret was? How is it that my tea I make at home is so bitter and overbrewed tasting, when this is, well, perfection? He asked what type of tea I drink. I shrugged, not really sure which brand I bought from the grocery store this week. He said the key was the fresh tea leaves. Buying bags of loose tea as opposed to prepackaged pods makes the difference. He told me to buy a tea strainer and a sample bag of tea from their gift shop. I did. And my tea I make at home is just as delicious as the tea at Alice's Tea Cup. Not only this--but I realized it's the whole package that goes with drinking tea. It's refined. It's beautiful. It's traditional. It's classic. And while I still definitely enjoy a cup of coffee now and then, Tea and I finally found a way to make it work. It goes to show, that a relationship doesn't have to be bad for you to be enjoyable!

3 comments:

Merry Monteleone said...

Crimeny, we've lost one!!!

Come back to the coffee side, we're dark and bitter, but in an artistic and fun way!

Colleen_Katana said...

Ohh, don't worry Merry. I'm still a coffee drinker at heart. And I still have a cup a day...so I wouldn't say I've COMPLETELY kicked the addiction. I've just replaced my 2nd morning cup and my 3rd morning cup and my lunchtime espresso and my afternoon latte with tea.

WordVixen said...

*lol* I'm obsessed with both. What does that say about me?

BTW, I bought a little single cup french press for my coffee. When I realized that I was breaking out (worse than usual), I went back to the old way of making coffee. But now I use it with loose tea leaves. It works great! the occassional bit of leaf gets through, but it's no big. I imagine the same would happen with an infuser. Plus, it can be strained through a coffee filter or piece of muslin as it's poured. (The muslin tea bags are a pain to use, but great for the extra straining step.)